Friday, November 7, 2008

Chelsea: Walk of the Superstars

I discovered on my walk through Chelsea that if I was rich and famous and living in London . . . I would live in Chelsea. I love the area. Since this walk was titled the "Walk of the Superstars" I decided that the perfect theme would be, of course, "Superstars . . . through the Ages."
The Superstar dating the furthest back in history that I found on this walk was Nell Gwyn, an actress who later became Charles II's mistress. In fact, Charles II liked her so much, he had a private road built just for him to visit her by. The Nell Gwynn House shown above is named after her . . . isn't it beautiful will all the scaffolding and blue netting?

The next superstar in history to live in this area was Thomas Carlyle, a Scottish essayist, satirist, and historian who lived during the Victorian era.

Now here's where the fun starts, in my opinion. This red door signifies the blood shed by Dracula. It was behind these walls the author Bram Stoker paced and fretted, copying his nightmares onto paper for the world to read.
Now if the last house wasn't spooky this one will be. In this house someone died . . . a superstar . . . the novelist George Eliot! Gasp! Oh, how I do love North and South!

Now, everyone should know this next superstar. It was the wit Oscar Wilde! Yes, he lived here too. Unfortunately for us on Saturday, he wrote An Ideal Husband (actually, I think we just saw a bad performance) but I really do enjoy The Importance of Being Earnest.

Again, let us change time periods and move into the 1900s. You may not be able to tell at first but this is the Michelin building . . . as in Michelin tires. The superstar for this building will forever be frozen in the stained glass window you can see here.

If this yellow door doesn't signify someone important who once lived here then I don't know what does. The famous actor Sir Laurence Olivier lived here! We passed the house from the side first and I noticed some really cool art in the window and made a comment that someone special must live there and what do you know?! It looks like it may have been turned into some sort of museum.

Three superstars that I wasn't expecting to find in this area . . . but Hailee took them on!

Number 48 Cheyne Walk was once the home of Mick Jagger the lead singer of the Rolling Stones! You might know him for his song titled "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

Just down the street was Mick's band mate, Keith Richards, guitarist for the Rolling Stones. A match made in Heaven.
It was a lot of fun to see all my possible houses in the future . . . and see who's footsteps I'll be walking in. The footsteps of the Superstars.

No comments: